Battles are a staple of Conan stories. Sometimes they are in the background and sometime they form a focal point of the story. He also spends a lot of time as a mercenary.
To do this I will have to:
- have mass combat rules easily available,
- know what military forces places can field,
- have mercenary companies detailed,
- work out adventures players can have as mercenaries and
- have warring states, border wars and ambitious people bent on conquest.
Entire evil countries
Countries in Conan stories can be described at a stroke. Some countries are mysterious and strange. Stygia is known as a dangerous, evil land with strange customs, where you do not want to go.
There will have to be a country that everyone knows about and has an awful reputation. All sorts of strange things will go on there. The nation will be heard about through its agents or through items which have made their way to more civilised lands.
Getting knocked out
Bam! You are knocked out. You come to and…
I will have rules so that players can be knocked out (1hp maybe?) Enemies will use clubs. Lots of enemies will have reasons for keeping a character alive such as:
- To eat later.
- For ransom.
- As slaves.
- To use as gladiators.
- To feed to pet monster.
- To sacrifice to their god.
- To sacrifice to whatever strong monster lords it over them. e.g. King Kong.
- For information.
- To lead them to the player’s home.
- To trade for prisoners.
- Give as tribute to a higher power.
- To teach them something (magic, tactics, swordplay, etc).
Conan’s adventures quote often take place in forgotten cities or large temple, cave or dungeon complexes. I will provide large ruined complexes and find a way to direct the players to the interesting bits.